Saturday, November 22, 2008

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!


BRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Where did this cold come from all of a sudden??

Seems like lately I spend more time thawing my butt out in front of the heater than getting anything accomplished! I have come to the conclusion, that fat does not retain heat...only blubber. I am beginning to wish I could trade my fat for some blubber! Enough about being cold ... I love the change! I like cozing up in my house, in the barn, in my new studio. Ahhhhhh, more tea drinking, pie, hot chocolate, pie, yes you get the picture. :) ....and were does that fat on my butt come from??


The sheep don't seem to mind the cold. They could be in the deeply bedded barn that I took time to make for them, but the prefer to be outside in the cold wind, in the middle of the paddock. Guess I wouldn't mind if I had on wool underwear, leg warmers, sweaters, hats and scarves.


I guess my only complaint is dealing with frozen water buckets. Over the years I have filled water buckets in the kitchen sink and then have made three to four daily treks to the paddocks to freshen water. It is a heck of a job, but I will never allow my animals to go without water. I have seen neglected animals drink and drink when they have been denied fresh water...it breaks my heart. It is also very important for pregnant ewes to always have fresh water available.


I am finding now that my elbows are beginning to show the signs of over use. I carry two full 5 gallon pails at a time ... it balances me. But it looks like I will be carrying less and making more treks. I friend suggested that I use gas cans and wheel them in my wheelbarrow I think that is a great idea. My husband promises me that I will have a snow blower this year as well. Last winter was brutal, and even though I would have rather had water piped to the barn, I'll take what I can get! :)





No comments: